How to keep your Silver Jewellery Clean!
You may notice that your Sterling Silver jewellery will blacken over time. This is easily solved by taking a few simple steps!
“Blackening” is a natural process that occurs in sterling silver as a result of oxidation (exposure to air). You may find that when the weather is warm your silver jewellery blackens faster due to the acidity of your sweat and the humidity in the air!
In a small proportion of people (perhaps 2-3%), sterling silver may actually turn their skin temporarily green – but this is not because it is not real Sterling Silver! This is caused by the small amount of copper that is in Sterling Silver (7.5% Copper, 92.5% Silver) that is needed to make the Silver hard enough to work with. This condition can be solved by cleaning the silver (with a cleaning cloth ideally) for a few days until the problem stops.
How to keep your Silver Jewellery clean! – You can clean sterling silver jewellery by using either:
- a very soft brush (an old, clean, toothbrush is ideal) with a small amount of washing up liquid – brush very gently so you don’t scratch your jewellery and dry thoroughly to avoid water tarnish.
- a special detergent cleaner for silver jewellery (liquid dip or a jewellery cleaner cream) or a jewellery cleaning cloth (available for purchase at most high street jewellers).
You can keep your lovely silver jewellery clean, sparkling and in good condition with a little effort:
- clean your silver jewellery regularly (as above)
- showering with your silver jewellery on is a good idea as the soapy running water keeps the jewellery clean and prevents it from blackening.
- swimming in the sea or in a swimming pool with your silver jewellery on is not recommended as salt water and chlorine can damage it.
- keep your silver jewellery in a jewellery box or pouch, a closed drawer or a clear plastic bag with a seal (zip-lock bags are ideal). This will keep it from being exposed to the air and blackening and will also prevent it from getting scratched.
- keep silver jewellery away from chemical substances (such as lotions and perfumes) if you can as they also can damage silver.
If you have any questions let me know.